Soooooooo like…yeah…I know I always said that we were sticking to our guns with serving only California beer, but we smashed our heads together and decided to start carrying two handles towards beer from outside of our Golden State. Because of this, we have decided on throwing our first non-in-state Tuesday Tap Takeover with Goose Island out of Chicago!
Without further ado, here is the deliciously delicious deliciousness you will be guzzling, I mean sipping…yeah sipping:
1. Honkers Ale – 4.3% ABV | 30 IBU – Inspired by visits to English country pubs, Honker’s Ale combines a spicy hop aroma with a rich malt middle to create a perfectly balanced beer. Immensely drinkable, Honker’s Ale is not only a beer drinkers can trust but one they’ll look forward to.
2. 312 Wheat Ale – 4.4% | 18 IBU – 312’s hazy appearance lets you know it’s an unfiltered ale. Its spicy aroma of Cascade hops is followed by a crispy, fruity ale flavor that’s delivered in a smooth, creamy body. 312 is not like any other beer we brew at Goose Island, but it’s certainly no less than you’d expect.
3. India Pale Ale- 5.6% ABV | 55 IBU –The British who colonized India were an adventurous lot, but English ales didn’t fare well on long journeys. Brewers began to use more hop to preserve their beers. Goose Island has crafted its own version of this classic pale ale featuring an inviting spicy hop aroma and fruity flavor, set off by a dry malt middle that ensures that the long hop finish won’t soon be forgotten.
4. Pepe Nero – 6.4% ABV | 30 IBU – With an aroma of roasted chestnuts and a mysteriously dark, mahogany hue, Pepe Nero is a farmhouse ale brewed with black peppercorns. His roasty sweetness melds into a lingering, earthy, black pepper finish that is ideal for pairing with grilled meats and roasted vegetables.
5. Sophie – 6.5% ABV | 20 IBU – Fermented with wild yeasts and aged in wine barrels with orange peel, Sofie is a tart, dry, sparkling ale. A subtle, spicy white pepper note, a hint of citrus from the orange peel and a creamy vanilla finish make Sofie an intriguing choice for Champagne drinkers and beer drinkers who are fond of Belgian Saisons.
6. Sophie Paradisi – 6.7% ABV | 20 IBU – The hardy farmers that brewed Belgium’s farmhouse ales often used seasonal ingredients to make each batch unique in flavor. Our original Sofie is aged in wine barrels with orange peel and fermented with the wild Belgian yeast Brettanomyces. Inspired by the traditions of farmhouse ales, we decided to create a new variant using a different, yet similar fruit – grapefruit. This variant of Sofie, Sofie Paradisi, is also aged in wine barrels but features a different blend. The change in fruit offers a brighter citrus nose and a distinctly tart finish along with the slight bittersweet characteristics common to grapefruit.
7. Matilda – 7.0% ABV | 26 IBU – Wild in character, with a slightly fruity aroma and a spicy yeast flavor that is as unique as it is satisfying – Matilda is an intriguing choice for beer and wine lovers alike. Dry and quenching, it’s the perfect accompaniment at the dining table or for casual socialization at the bar.
8. Matilda Lambicus – 7.0% | 25 IBU – Modeled after beer brewed by Trappist monks, Matilda Lambicus is a dark, golden colored Belgian style pale ale brewed using two yeast strains. Unfiltered and veiled, an appealing haze is expected in a deep copper hue. After primary fermentation
with a Belgian ale yeast strain, a secondary fermentation with Brettanomyces Lambicus is carried out. Like its sister beer Matilda, Matilda Lambicus has baking spice aromas with a touch of funk expected from Brettanomyces. These are then complemented by fruity aromas, pleasant acidity, and a slightly tart body that enhance the complexity of an already complex beer.
9. The Illinois – 8.4% ABV | 70 IBU – Inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright’s grandiose vision for a mile-high skyscraper dubbed “The Illinois”, we set out to brew an Imperial IPA that would be similar in name and ambition. “The Illinois” Imperial IPA is dry-hopped with three of our favorite hops: Cascade, Meridian, and Citra. The result is a harmoniously hoppy ale with a flavor and aroma that is uniquely Goose Island.
10. Lolita – 8.7% | 32 IBU – Lolita is a pink rose colored Belgian style pale ale fermented with wild yeast and aged on raspberries in wine barrels. Aromas of fresh raspberries, bright jammy fruit flavors and crisp, refreshing body make Lolita ideal for beer drinkers fond of Belgian Framboise.
11. Pere Jacques – 8.7% ABV | 26 IBU – Brewed with loads of malt and Belgian yeast, Pere Jacques is a wonderfully fruity, malty ale. Pere Jacques’ complex flavors stand shoulder to shoulder with the Belgian Dubbels enjoyed in the world’s finest beer bars. At the dining table it’s the perfect alternative to a glass of vintage port.
So save the date, Tuesday – November 19th, 2013 AD!
In the meantime, here’s a look into the brewing facility over in Illinois:
We hope to see all of you guys there!
Len & Jerry