What’s up guys and gals? Please accept our apologies that this is being thrown out into cyberspace so close to the event, but we were hard at work helping get things in order for Nepenthia (which was super fun, you better have shown up. I’m talking to you. AND YOU).
Anyhoo, I know we have said that we wouldn’t double up on a brewery before we have exhausted our options, but we just love Hangar 24 and all the guys over there (plus their summer line up is always ama-za-za-zing)! With that being said, this coming Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AD, the boys from Hangar 24 will be bringing in some great brews to tickle your taste buds.
Without further ado, here is the lineup for the evening:
1. Helles Lager – 4.3% ABV | 14 IBU – Traditional and Sweet. This Munich style Helles bears all its delicacies for you to enjoy with nothing to hide. Sweet candy-like malt sweetness and a hint of German noble hop flavor and aroma is what this craft lager is all about.
2. Orange Wheat – 4.6% ABV | 17 IBU – Crisp, tangy, and refreshing. The citrus aroma, light airy mouth feel, and tangy finish are this unfiltered beer’s trademarks. This is accomplished by adding whole locally grown oranges throughout the brewing process, which perfectly coalesce with the wheat and barley base.
3. Small Stout – 4.8% ABV | 43 IBU – A special release for St. Patty’s Day. Brewed in the traditional “small beer” style made from the second runnings of our massive Imperial Stout Pugachev’s Cobra. Small beers are a practice that dates back hundreds of years to monastic brewing traditions. In those days, brewers would make a large strong beer for the King or Abbot and then smaller beers for the regular citizens or monks. Our Small Stout is an American-style dry stout. Roast barley character blends with hints of chocolate and espresso. The beer finishes crisp and dry accentuated by a nice hop character.
4. Belgian Summer Ale – 5.8% | 15 IBU – Our summer seasonal is based on the recipe for our very popular 3rd Anniversary Ale. Aromas of clove, pineapple and bubblegum spill from the glass. The flavor is a combination of spicy Belgian yeast with hints of pear & nutmeg. It finishes with a pleasant tartness. 3rd Anniversary Ale is very light and refreshing and at the same time complex and intriguing.
5. Local Fields Palmero – 7.0% ABV | 20 IBU – For our second Local Fields Series offering we looked to match a Belgian classic with the sweetness of Southern California Dates. Palmero is a traditional Abbey Dubbel with a healthy addition of dates from the Coachella Valley. Fruity esters from the Belgian yeast strain combine with a delicate date sweetness. This beer is full of flavors of caramel, raisin, rum and spice.
6. Chocolate Porter – 8.0% ABV | 47 IBU – Rich and decadent. This strong porter is perfect for sipping at the end of the day or to accompany full-flavored foods. The intense, roasty flavor comes from two types of chocolate malt and raw cocoa nibs. Whole vanilla beans introduced post fermentation add complexity and enhance the dessert-like qualities of this full bodied beer. Indulge yourself!
7. Local Fields Essence – 8.5% | 75 IBU – This beer is the essence of Southern California. A traditional west coast Double IPA with a distinct copper hue, enhanced by generous additions of navel oranges, sweet blood oranges and grapefruit, all grown in Redlands, CA. The citrus flavors and aromas intensify the zesty Cascade and Zythos hops to deliver a one-of-a-kind drinking experience. An invigorating beer with a pleasant, defining bitterness, perfect for warm weather.
8. DIPA – 9.0% ABV | 118 IBU – Assertive and drinkable. Double IPA is California’s gift to beer lovers. Hangar 24’s is brewed with four distinctly American hops: Centennial, Citra, Columbus and Simcoe, all beautifully balanced by five malts and generous additions of local orange blossom honey. An intense sensory experience — the fresh aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit with the bold taste of hops and sweet honey.
9. Hammerhead – 12.4% ABV | IBU 83 – A well executed HAMMERHEAD is smooth and dramatic. This beer is no exception. Hammerhead is a big, complex, American-style Barleywine featuring two English caramel malts and four American hops. Hammerhead’s character is enhanced by dry hopping and then aging the deep amber liquid for six months in charred oak rye whiskey and bourbon barrels. Spicy aromas spill from the glass: rich caramel, citrusy hops, bourbon and oak. Layered flavors of toffee, vanilla, brown sugar, spice and rye whiskey lead to a warm and slightly bitter finish. This is a strong ale, meant to be sipped, savored and enjoyed.
10. Russian Imperial Stout – 12.5% ABV | 85 IBU – One of the biggest beers they brew at Hangar 24, Russian Imperial Stout is a masterpiece of flavor and complexity. Three different dark roasted malts provide intense roasty flavors of dark chocolate, espresso and licorice. A heavy dose of hops gives enough bitterness to balance the malts. Rich, thick and mouth-coating, this beer is perfect for sipping and contemplating.
As usual, we will have some fun giveaways for people who pick up a flight of the brewery host while supplies last!
Len & Jerry