So sorry this is really late notice, but we have been scrambling around to get our one year anniversary all planned (April 23rd, 2013 AD for those interested, and we know you are), that this is getting put up a little late!
We know Karl Strauss, in the past, has lost a little of it’s luster as a true craft brewery, but this couldn’t be further from the truth now. In the last two years, they have definitely stepped things up and are throwing together some crazy delicious brews. Check out the evening’s lineup for medals galore:
1. Windansea Wheat – 5.1% ABV | 3 SRM | 12 IBU –This Hefeweizen is true to the Bavarian style, using 50% malted wheat and Noble Tettnanger hops. A centuries old strain of German weissbier yeast lends its trademark banana and clove flavors that linger through a refreshingly smooth finish. Gold and silver medal winner.
2. Pintail Pale Ale – 5.3% ABV | 15 SRM | 47 IBU – Motueka hops from New Zealand’s South Island provide a vibrant tropical aroma, while multiple additions of American-grown Cascades lend zesty citrus hop flavors. Gold medal winner.
3. Red Trolley – 5.8% ABV | 30 SRM | 17 IBU – Brewed with a half ton of caramelized malts for a rich copper color and toffee flavor. After adding the perfect mix of hops for balance, we warm ferment the beer to bring out a hint of dried raisins and currants. Gold medal winner.
4. Tower 10 IPA – 7% ABV | 9 SRM | 70 IBU – Filling the brew kettle to the brim with assertive Chinook hops, gives the beer its intense grapefruit and pine flavors that linger through its dry finish. After fermentation, it is dry hopped with a blend of Cascade and Centennial hops for a floral citrus aroma. A touch of lightly kilned caramel malts make Tower 10 a well balanced, full flavored IPA. Silver and Bronze medal winner.
5. Boardwalk Black Rye IPA – 8% ABV | 80 SRM | 80 IBU – A spicy black ale with a hop profile that’s pure West Coast. Black and caramelized rye malts add complex spicy and roasted notes, while three massive additions of Ahtanum hops provide the vibrant floral aroma and citrus hop character of a Double IPA. Gold medal winner.
6. Off the Rails – 8.5% ABV | 32 SRM | 40 IBU – A West Coast Imperial Red Ale with rich toffee flavors, undertones of dark fruits, and a derailing hop character. Think Red Trolley…Hulk style. Silver medal winner.
7. Doppelbock Conquistador – 8.5% ABV | 40 SRM | 28 IBU – A super robust German-style lager which has rich caramel and toasted malt flavors, underscored by a plum-like fruit character and a warming finish. Gold medal winner.
8. Mouette A Tois – 8.5% ABV | 35 SRM | 10 IBU – Brewed with fresh apricots, cherries and a blend of spices, the resulting strong ale is a Belgian Dubbel meets fruit cake. Rich layers of candied fruit and warming spices are punctuated by notes of toffee and fresh-baked bread. Aging on brandy-cured French oak adds hints of vanilla that linger through a warming finish.
9. Blackball Belgian IPA – 8.5% ABV | 14 SRM | 80 IBU – A Belgian-inspired India Pale Ale with a robust West Coast hop profile. Belgian ale yeast, coriander, and Curacao lend a fruity and spicy character for an ale bolder than your average IPA. A blend of New Zealand and Cascade hops add a vibrant floral aroma and clean citrus hop bitterness that lingers through its crisp, dry finish. Gold and silver medal winner.
10. Wreck Alley Imperial Stout – 9.5% ABV | 100 SRM | 50 IBU – Brewed with darkly kilned malts, cocoa nibs, and Ethiopian coffee beans, Wreck Alley boasts rich layers of dark chocolate, toffee, and espresso-like roast. Silver and bronze medal winner.
Check back with us soon for our special food offerings, yes? Yes. As usual, we will be tossing swag at you guys, so come early for the good gear!
Len & Jerry